There is a difference between Kik display name and your Kik username. Often users want to change their Kik “name” but aren’t sure which one they really want to change.
Changing the Kik username is a few more steps, and I’ll show you how to do that at the end of the article. If you want to know how to change Kik display name, then you’ve come to the right place. It’s a very simple and intuitive process that only takes a few seconds to do.
What is a Kik Display Name?
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.- William Shakespeare
When you sign up for Kik, you have to create a display name which is the name that folks see when they view your profile and communicate with you. It is the name that appears in your conversations to your friends, in notifications, and in your friend’s contact lists. Your display name is very important in terms of how people can identify you in the vast arena of Kik Messenger.
How to change Kik Display Name?
There are many reasons why someone might want to change their Kik display name. Maybe someone has gotten married and changed their name. Perhaps someone just wants to get creative and have fun with a new Kik identity. Whatever your reason for changing your Kik display name, these steps will help you. Here’s how you change it:
On most phones, except for Windows Phone, you have the same process to change Kik Display Name.
- First, select Settings which looks like a little gear on the top bar of your screen.
- Next, select “Your Account” on the settings menu. Third, select “Name” on the account menu (on a Windows Phone, this will say “Change Display Name”). You should see what your current Kik display name is.
- Then, a new screen should pop up prompting you to create a new Kik display name. Enter a new First Name and a new Last Name and press OK.
Best Kik Display Name Tips
When you want to change Kik display name and create a new one, there are some great tips you should consider.
- First, think about why you want to change your Kik display name.
- Remember that when you change your name, your friends and other users will no longer find you easily in their contact lists or on Kik. So, if you want to change, remember to let people know that you’ve changed it.
Also, if you are going to change your Kik display name, perhaps you should consider making it something that identifies with you. Not some random name, but something that describes you and your interests. If you can incorporate your real name into your creativity, it would be even better. If you want to add a middle name or initial, just add it to the First Name box. If my display name has been Edgar Poe and I wanted to change my Kik display name, I could just add “Allan” after Edgar on the First Name box. If you add it to the Last Name box, it may mess up when the contact list tries to organize and sort you by alphabetical order.
How to change your Kik username
Changing your Kik display name is super simple, but changing your Kik username is not. In fact, Kik does not officially allow this to happen. They claim that it’s because your Kik username is your identity and is unique to you. That means two or more people can have the exact Kik display names but there is only one Kik username per user. A Kik username is like a phone number in this way. No two people or entities in the phone book have the same number, but there could be several John Smiths or Elizabeth Johnsons.
However, if you really want to change your Kik username and not change your Kik display name, then read our previous article about the subject. We have some advice and tips to offer on how to do this.
- Basically, what you have to do in this case if reset your Kik Messenger and start over from scratch again.
- Or you have to register for a new Kik account with a different email address.
Why change Kik display name?
Changing the Kik display name is very easy and is a great way to keep people excited and on their toes. However, remember that it may dissuade people from contacting you because they won’t be able easily find you and identify you. So, if you do really want to change Kik display name, then pay close attention to the tips offered above. You can also reset and create a new Kik account from the bottom up, but that may be a little drastic for what you really want to accomplish.
If you have any more tips, suggestions, or questions about how to change a Kik display name, then leave a comment and let us know.