Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be used in violation of your Kik Messenger terms of service. Please consult Kik Messenger’s terms of service for more information.
Let’s say you just downloaded Kik and want to use it on your Chromebook or on your Chrome browser but don’t know what your options are.
Unfortunately, you can’t get an official Kik for Chromebook since that is not one of the platforms they have created the app for, but you can use a few work arounds to make up for that.
In this guide I’ll walk you through tips and tricks and hopefully help you on your way to texting your friends no matter what device you’re on. I’ll also provide a few disclaimers with this method.
The new information technology… Internet and e-mail… have practically eliminated the physical costs of communications.- Peter Drucker
Why get Kik for Chromebook?
This may be the first time you’ve used a Chromebook or you may be a longtime user, but either way you will be able to follow this tutorial. It’s pretty straight forward and relatively easy to implement.
The reason for this article is sometimes you’re having a conversation on your iPhone or Android but get to work and now you want to continue your texting on your Chromebook or your Chrome browser. This may be frustrating due to the limitations of the app and what platforms you can run it on.
Another good reason to use Kik for Chromebook is if you’re somewhere where it’s not acceptable or easy to use your smartphone. Say you’re taking notes in class and want to text friends while you’re taking notes. It may be awkward to pull out your phone but it’s completely doable to text over your laptop to friends using the trick below.
Kik for Chromebook Using Manymo
You may or may not have heard about Manymo, which is an online Android emulator. The emulator mimics the Android operating system and allows you to run Android apps through your web browser.
Disclaimer: For this trick to work you will need to make sure you sign up for a Google Play account if you don’t already have one. This is because you will need an account with Google Play to download the Kik apk file to run on the emulator. If you have an Android phone you already have an account and can just use that.
To get everything up and running simply follow these steps.
- First you’ll want to head over to Google Play and make sure that you have an account and you verify that you can download apps.
- Navigate to Kik Messenger on Google Play and download the apk file onto your Chromebook to use later. You’ll want to make sure you save the file in case you want to use it in the future.
- Now that you have your app, you need the Android emulator. Head over to Manymo and sign up for an account. You don’t need to enter in any credit card info or pay anything so just sign up.
- Once you have your Manymo account you can click at the top to “launch emulators” and from there you will get a screen giving you options for various Android emulator sizes.
- Choose whichever size emulator you want and click the “launch with app” link at the top right.
- From there, upload your Kik app into the Manymo online emulator and you’ll be up and running.
- You need to then login to Kik on your Chromebook which will log you out of any other device you’re logged in to. This is an unfortunate issue with Kik messenger but there’s not much around it, the app will only let you be logged in on one device at a time.
TIP: Make sure when you’re choosing various size emulators you choose one that is similar to the size of your Chromebook screen as this will make everything look better once you launch the app.
Kik Messenger For Chrome
You may not be on a Chromebook but just want Kik for Chrome browser instead. Luckily for you, you can use the exact same steps above if you want to use an online emulator on your Chrome browser.
This is a good option if you don’t want to download the emulator onto your computer or don’t have access to install programs. You just follow the exact same steps. In fact, it works on any web browser from Chrome to Firefox to IE to Safari. It also works on both desktop and laptop computers.
That wraps up this guide and hopefully gave you a good sense on how to use Kik Messenger for Chromebook and Chrome. Share your ideas or tips below so that everyone can learn from each other. Did this work for you? If not, let us know and we’ll try to help you out.
As always, we appreciate if you would share this article with your friends so everyone you currently chat with you can continue to chat with in the future on their notebooks, whether you’re in class or not. We won’t tell your teacher :).
It never downloaded.
what? what apk file? i cant find anything like that, and manymo wont work either.
Ya mine will not work eather
Hey man I want my hat back… :/
*takes hat and wears it*
This did not work at all. I found the apk file on a website downloaded it, and it still doesn’t show up on the emulator.