Boasting over 200 million registered profiles, Kik has become a massively popular online chat platform for users on-the-go. It’s remarkably accessible and available as a free download across a plethora of devices, including your iPad (whether it’s a Mini, Air, or Pro.) It may not appear available, at first, but a single toggle from within your device’s app store will allow you to find it.
Accessible as it is, though, there can still be hiccups along the way. Users frequently have questions about Kik Messenger before they even get around to downloading it, and develop more questions after doing so. On top of that, Kik has become laden with useful features that don’t stand out to most users right away. In this article, we’ll explore Kik Messenger from the bottom up, from download to install, all the way through the creation of your first profile. Since we’ve covered the process extensively for using Kik on smartphones and even laptop and desktop computers, we’ll aim some of the nuances in this article towards tablet users. Thankfully, Kik Messenger functions almost identically on every platform that it runs on, making differences between devices few and far between. Even though we won’t exactly be working with a native iPad version of Kik, you’ll be surprised by how well it works.
Before Getting Started With Kik…
Though jumping headfirst into Kik Messenger is easy as pie, there are a few things you can collect beforehand that will help to make setting the app up even simpler. Compared to many online chat platforms, Kik actually requires very little for its users to set up an account and start chatting, but if you give those few things a little bit of consideration beforehand, you’ll have a better time overall in Kik.
Kik will only ask you for five things when you set up your profile: an email address, a unique username, a display name, a password, and optionally, your phone number. Let’s address each of these in order, and look at a few tips to consider before you use them on your Kik profile.
- Email address. For this, you can either use the primary email address that you use on your device or create a free email address from any variety of hosts to use specifically for Kik. We’ll talk more about Kik’s “Address Matching” feature that will help you to find friends, but for your own profile, you can choose whichever avenue gives you the greatest protection for your personal information.
- Unique username. Though it might be tempting to use a variation of your own name, or a personal moniker, when creating your username, I would highly advise against it. Your Kik username is the means by which other users will find you and connect with you. As you might imagine, the same will hold true if anyone gets ahold of your username. Instead of something closely tied to yourself, I recommend an username that’s difficult to guess. Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers.
- Display name. Simply put, this is the name that other users will see when they’re chatting with you. While your username cannot change, you can alter your display name whenever you’d like.
- Password. Much like your username, you’ll want your password to be impossible for anyone to guess. Combined with your username, this is the key to your Kik profile, and should, therefore, be kept secret and safe.
- Phone number. While some tablet computers feature a cellular antenna, they’re few and far between. Mostly, this information is reserved for those on smartphones. Still, if you’d like to enter your mobile phone number, it will aid other users in finding you when they use the “Address Matching” feature.
If you give some thought to the information you’ll need in order to set up your Kik profile on your iPad, then you won’t have to wonder right after you’ve downloaded the app. Some may not see the importance of considering the importance of each of these things, but I can guarantee you’ll be glad you did once you get immersed in Kik Messenger.
Downloading Kik Messenger
We need to download scientific journals and upload them to file-sharing networks.- Aaron Swartz
With the above information in hand, you can go ahead and download Kik Messenger. Since the iPad uses Apple’s iOS operating system, this will only mean a quick jaunt into the very obvious App Store. A simple search for “Kik,” however, won’t immediately reveal the app that we’re looking for. While Kik certainly has an excellent iOS client, it’s only optimized to run on iPhones, rather than iPads. This won’t be a barrier to your accessing it, but it will mean that the app has to run at an iPhone resolution (trust me, it will still look great!)
After searching for Kik, look to the top of the App Store interface. You’ll notice that the search function is set to its default, meaning that it will only find iPad apps. If you tap this, you’ll see that you can set it instead to iPhone only, which is what we’re after. As soon as you’ve switched this, Kik Messenger should show up at the top of your App Store search results.
It should be noted that Kik is always free to download. It won’t necessarily always be free to use (cellular data charges can sometimes apply), but any attempt to charge you for downloading the Kik Messenger app can reliably be considered a scam.
Simply select the app, and select “Get” in order to start downloading it to your iPad. Thankfully, Kik is a lightweight program that won’t take up much space at all on your tablet. Even if you have little remaining hard drive space, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to squeeze on Kik Messenger.
Once the download has finished, you’re ready to go! No other download is necessary, and as of right now, I can’t truly recommend using any of the so-called “companion apps” that are available for Kik on the iOS app store. They’re far too riddled with scam attempts.
Starting Your Kik Experience on iPad
Before anything else, you’ll need to get a profile set up on Kik. You’ll require your own profile in order to access any of Kik’s features. Thankfully, as mentioned above, the process is remarkably simple. If you’ve gathered the necessary information already, it’s just a matter of tapping it into the required entry fields after you select “Register.” As stated before, the resolution of the Kik Messenger app may look slightly off compared to other apps on your tablet; because this is an iPhone app, it will always run at an iPhone resolution. This won’t ever reduce the features or function of the app itself, however.
Setting Up Your Profile
Moreso than most other messaging applications I’ve used, Kik’s signup process is a cakewalk. As long as you’ve assembled the required information (follow the steps above!), then all you’ll need to do is enter it, confirm it, and you’ll be ready to rock and roll. The only hiccup may occur if your username has already been claimed by someone else, but if you’ve listened to my advice above–by coming up with an username made of uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers–then you shouldn’t encounter this problem.
Exploring Kik’s Features
Once you’ve entered your profile information and logged in for the first time, there’s nothing standing between you and a brand new Kik Messenger experience on your iPad! However, the plethora of features offered by Kik can be a lot to wrangle in the first few minutes, so we’ll elaborate upon a few of the more noteworthy ones below. We’ll keep our focus on remaining simple, performing tasks that a Kik newcomer will have no trouble with.
Share Your Profile.
It’s a universally acknowledged truth that your online chat experience is going to get awfully boring without anyone to talk to. The easy remedy to such a dilemma? Get your friends on Kik! The app makes it remarkably simple, and you can use two automated methods in order to let your existing contacts know that you’re now on Kik Messenger.
- Social media sharing. From Kik’s “Settings” menu (the small gear located to the upper or lower left of the main Kik screen), select “Share Your Profile.” From here, you can automatically send your profile off to any number of other social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and others. Though you can usually trust those you’re already connected to on these platforms, it’s always worthwhile to be mindful of who you’re sharing your username with.
- Address matching. Though your iPad may have prompted you to do this when you were first installing Kik, you can access it again at any time through the “Chat” menu in the “Settings” area of the Kik app. It works like this: the app will go through the contacts section of your device and look at the registered email addresses and phone numbers of your contacts. While it certainly won’t exploit this information, it will cross-reference it against the current database of Kik users. Any matches will possibly be added to your contacts list!
Try the Web Browser
One of Kik’s most noteworthy features is its built-in web browser, which will lead you to a wide variety of Kik-optimized web pages and services. From the main Kik screen, tap the icon that looks like a small globe (located either in the upper or lower right corner of the screen).
From here, you’ll be given the option to explore popular Kik browser web pages or use the search entry to find your own! Web pages and media content can be easily shared with your contacts from inside Kik Messenger, which is a utility that’s not available in other online messaging services.
Once you’ve tried your hand at the above features, it’s time to dig into the actual foundation of Kik Messenger: the chat service! The excellent read-notification system, the GIF Keyboard, and the speed at which your messages are sent all combine to give you a lightning-quick, fun chat experience that has drawn millions of users to Kik so far.
Downloading and setting up Kik Messenger on your iPad is no more difficult than it is on any of the other platforms that Kik was designed to run on. Though there’s currently no iPad version of Kik Messenger in the works, this version will continue to work well on your tablet. It remains remarkably simple and is meant to get you using Kik’s many services and features as quickly as possible. Whether you’re using an iPad Mini, Air, or Pro model, downloading and using Kik Messenger is a fantastic way to broaden your chat experience and connect with new people.