Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be used in violation of your Kik Messenger terms of service. Please consult Kik Messenger’s terms of service for more information.
Kik Messenger is, without a doubt, one of the best instant messaging apps (applications) available. It is free and secure. Although most Kik Messenger users download the app on their smart phones, you can also login to Kik on your computer.
In this article we will show you everything you need to know to access Kik Messenger on your web browser and use it in the same way you do on your smart phone.
There could be different reasons why you would want to use Kik Messenger on your computer rather than on your smart phone. Mostly, it would be because a) you cannot alway use your smart phone to chat (you are at school or at work, for instance); b) you need to access files on your computer that you wish to share on Kik Messenger (for instance, there is a video file or a phone that you would want to send through Kik Messenger that is saved on your computer); or c) you do not have a smart phone and would like you use Kik Messenger.
Whatever your reason for using Kik Messenger online, you have come to the right place. In this article we will tell you everything you need to know in order the make the most of using Kik Messenger online starting by the basics you need to know to some tips to use help you enhance your online Kik Messenger experience.
Kik Messenger Online
The first thing you need to know about using Kik online that in order to do so, you still need to have a Kik Messenger account. If you already have a Kik Messenger account because you regularly use it on your phone, then you should skip to the next section of this article. If, however, you are new to using Kik Messenger read on for advice on how to open an account, and use it.
To use Kik Messenger, whether on your computer or on your smart phone or mobile device, you will need to download the app first. You can download Kik Messenger on the Google Play store or on the Apple App store depending on what OS (operating system you are using): Android (Google operating system) or iOS (Apple operating system).
Once you have downloaded the app, you will need to follow these steps:
- Open the Kik Messenger App on your smart phone or on your mobile device.
- Tap the register button. This will open the the new account screen.
- Complete the registration by introducing your personal details in the appropriate boxes.
- Once you have completed filling in the boxes, tap register.
- When you open Kik Messenger for the first time, you will be asked if you would like to find your friends. This is a optional step that you can skip. If you agree to it, Kik Messenger will look into your phone’s contact list in order to find people on it who already use Kik. This is what is known as Address Book Matching. If you decide to skip it first but change your mind afterwards, you can always go to your chat settings and select address book matching and Kik Messenger will sync your phone contacts.
- If you choose to Skip the previous step and/or you decide to add some friends manually (i.e., people who are not on your phone’s contact list), you can do so easily. Tab the speech bubble located in the top right corner of your screen. This will open a search field for your to type the Kik username you would like to add. If you do not know any Kik usernames you can also search by keyword in order to find other kid users that share your interests (for example, you can sear from “fashion”, “music”, “technology”, etc.).
- Kik Messenger will send you an email to confirm your email and complete your registration. It is always a good idea to open the email and follow the simple instructions it contains. It will be easier to retrieve your password if you ever forget it in the long run if you have done this first.
Once you have registered and added some Kik Messenger users, you are set and ready to start using the app. This is very simple but here are the instructions to make it even simpler.
- To send messages, just touch the speech bubble menu and tap your friend’s username. Then tap type a message to start writing. Once you have composed your message, tap send and wait for them to reply.
- You can add emoticons (faces showing different emotions) to your messages by tapping the emoticon button (the smiley face next to the type a message box. By doing this, you will be given the option of adding many emoticons, just tap the one that suits your mood and it will be added to your message.
- To send photos or videos already on your phone, just tap the plus sign (+) to access your camera roll. From there, select the file you would like to send.
- To take a new photo and send it, also tap the plus sign (+) but then tap the camera button. This will open your camera function. To take the photo just press the white circular button and then touch send.
- You can send other content by touching the globe icon. This could include YouTube videos, memes, stickers, etc.
- If you have selected the wrong picture or file, you can delete it but only before you send it out. So watch out!
Now that we have covered the basic things that you can do on Kik Messenger on your phone, smart device or computer let’s talk about how you can access it from your PC or Mac computer.
How Do You Get Kik On Your PC or Mac?
There is not an official way in which to access or install Kik Messenger on your computer. This does not of course, mean that it is impossible, it just means that it requires some extra steps and a bit of extra knowledge to do so.
The only solution to this small problem is to use an Android emulator. Emulators enable your computer to run an Android operation system. It does not matter whether you already have a smart phone or not (or if you indeed have a phone that runs on Android or iOS). It also does not matter whether you have a Mac or a PC. Everyone with a computer can use an Android emulator.
“Android is a major step towards an ethical, user-controlled, free-software portable phone, but there is a long way to go.”- Richard Stallman
Now, there are many different kinds of emulators out there. Some require you to make a download on to your computer while others allow you access the emulator on line. Some emulators are free to use whereas others have certain features you need to pay for.
You should consider carefully why you need an Android emulator. This will make you decide which one is right for you. In this article, we will recommend you the emulator that is easiest to use because this is all you need to login on Kik Messenger on your computer. If you also wish to pay video games or have access to other apps or feature, then you should also consider other Android emulators.
By far the easiest and most convenient Android emulator for using Kik Messenger online is Manymo (pronounced like “many more”).
The main reason for choosing Manymo as your Android emulator is that it does not require download. The advantage of it not requiring download is two fold: on the one hand, you will not not need to use any memory space on your computer and, on the other hand, you can use Manymo from any computer safely (for example, any computer at work or at school, or at a friend’s house). All you need to do is go to the Manymo website and register.
To use Kik online using Manymo, you will need to download the Kik Messenger .apk file on the computer you are using. Do not worry if you do not know what this means. You can easily find the file on the Google Play store or on the Amazon app store. If you cannot do this, just search for Kik .apk on your search engine. There are dozens of free websites where you can download the kid .apk for free. Once you have done this, you will be able to access Kik Messenger online through Manymo.
The only downside is that you can only access your apps (in this case Kik Messenger online) for up to 20 minutes a day during the free trial period of 30 days. To use Manymo for longer periods of time and beyond 30 days, you will need to subscribe to it for a monthly fee.
Although you can access Kik messenger online easily (if you follow our guide) and for free it still requires some extra steps. So, using Kik messenger on your smart phone is still the best (and the only fully supported) way of using the app. Having said that, it does not hurt to know that they are alternatives to this and that if you need (or want to) use Kik Messenger on your computer, you indeed can!